The Apple Valley Model Railroad Club is one of the Top Tourist destinations in Western North Carolina. Our HO layout is located inside the Historic 1902 Hendersonville, N.C. Railroad Depot. It occupies an area of 22’x100’ and has a Western North Carolina setting. Our main yard is Asheville, N.C. where mainline trains run south to Spartanburg, S.C. and east to Spencer, N.C. At Hickory, N.C., the Carolina and Northwestern railroad departs to an upper level through Lenoir and Mortimer and joins with the W.M. Ritter logging railroad at Edgemont. Our G Scale All-Weather Layout is located outside behind the Depot.
What we have for you:
- Free parking on the streets and FREE admission to Visitors.
- 1920s era telegraph key and sounder along with 2019 era touchscreen system to let you practice Morse Code and even let you compare your speed to what others have done. Simple enough that anyone can do it.
- Historic 1902 Hendersonville Depot filled with historic railroad artifacts on the walls, in cabinets and outside.
- 22' x 100' Operating HO Layout inside the Depot. Camera car with live video on wall-mounted TV from train.
- Separate Thomas and Emily HO layout that kids can control themselves.
- Outside G Scale Layout viewable year round. (We don't operate on it in bad weather). Caboose-mounted drone camera displaying live video inside the building from the caboose point of view.
- 1910 1000 pound Steam Engine "Pauline" on Display that has sound, lights and rotating wheels
- Friendly members willing to talk to visitors, answer questions and share information
- Historic Southern Caboose that visitors can go inside.
- Railroad videos showing most times on a big screen with plenty of seating for the weary.
- Clean Restrooms.